Friday, August 12, 2011

Who loves who?! (Never Let Me Go- 14)

"They'd heard of this Hailsham couple, the guy had only a few weeks left before he became a carer. And they went to see someone and got everything put back three years. They were allowed to go on living there together, up at the White Mansion, three years straight, didn't have to go on with their training or anything. Three years just to themselves, because they could prove they were properly in love." (page 153)

This idea of deferrals is kind of confusing to me at this point, but I have a feeling that it will be significant to the outcome of the story. Chrissie and Rodney tell Kathy, Ruth, and Tommy about the idea of deferrals and they question the three to see if they know anything about it. It really mad me mad how Ruth acted like she knew about this when she didn't at all. She is so rude to Kathy and Tommy sometimes just because she wants to fit in with the veterans. It really makes me not like Ruth's character at all. Throughout the past chapter when Tommy buys Kathy her lost record of the Judy Bridgewater song, I really have a feeling that Tommy and Kathy will somehow fall in love with each other. I predict that if anyone will get this "deferral" it will be Tommy and Kathy and not Tommy and Ruth. At least I hope it isn't Ruth because I do not like her right now.

Also, during the trip to Norfolk, the idea of everyone's clone being a nobody was very interesting to me. I am curious as to how these models become clones. It would make sense that the people in charge of cloning would pay these nobodies who need the money so that they would do this. If this is the case, then Ruth is right. Most of the "models" who the students are clones of would logically be "trash".

No comments:

Post a Comment