Friday, August 12, 2011

Disappointing (Never Let Me Go- 19)


"'We took away your art because we thought it would reveal your souls.  Or to put it more finely, we did it to prove you had souls at all'" ( page 260).  

The whole climax of this book really confused me. I didn't think that Miss Emily would be helpful at all but I guess in a way she kind of was. I found it weird with this whole cloning concept. The author made it very apparent that it was an inhumane practice. I thought that Tommy and Kathy would be at least considered for a deferral, but that didn't happen either. I guess that it is a good thing though because I really don't see how three years would change anything. This book is realistic in the sense that endings aren't always "happily ever after." and I think that Ishiguro made this very apparent. However, in the end, I was surprised that Kathy was very nonchalant to everything that had happened. Seeing as she was a carer for so long, she was used to the practices and the concept of death. However, the type of character that she seemed to be throughout the novel was not one who stood by and watched as everything happened. Kathy was a really smart girl and she knew what was going on. But in the end, she just accepted everything that had happened to her. I guess there wasn't really anything she could do anyway. 

No comments:

Post a Comment