Friday, August 12, 2011

"Baby, baby, never let me go." (Never Let Me Go- 7)

"And what I imagine was a woman who'd been told she couldn't have babies, who'd really, really, wanted them all her life. Then there's a sort of miracle and she has a baby, and she holds this baby very close to her and walk around signing: 'Baby, never let me go...' partly because she's so happy but also because she's so afraid something will happen, that the baby will get ill or be taken away from her." (page 70)

I found this excerpt of the book to be extremely vivid and a great time to mention imagery. This entire book is full of imagery. Ishiguro does a really good job of making sure that there are enough details to paint a big picture of every little thing that has occurred. I can imagine what Hailsham is and what Kathy would look like when she was rocking her pillow and saying "baby, baby, never let me go." Imagery is an important part of this entire book. Without the imagery, it would be extremely hard to follow what Ishiguro is saying. Not only would it be hard to follow, but it would not make any sense. I noticed that throughout the first couple of chapters I was having a really hard time getting into the book. I couldn't imagine what kind of place that these children lived in and it just didn't make sense to me. I had more questions than anything. However, once I was able to imagine what Hailsham would be and what the character would be like, it was a lot easier to read the book. This is why imagery in a book is so important. Without imagery, the story is incomplete and boring. Imagery allows the reader to interpret and imagine, which is extremely important in a book like Never Let Me Go. 

No comments:

Post a Comment