Wednesday, August 3, 2011

It's nice to meet you Kathy H. (Never Let Me Go-1)

"My name is Kathy H. I'm thirty-one years old, and I've been a carer now for over eleven years. That sounds long enough, I know, but actually they want me to go on for another eight months, until the end of this year. That will make is almost exactly twelve years." (pg. 3)

Well, I've started the second book, and I can say I'm just as confused as I was when I began Brave New World. Immediately, we are introduced to Kathy and shown that this book is going to take place in the first person point of view. I have always liked books that take place in the first person point of view because they make it easier to relate to and connect with the main character of the novel. I feel like this may have been the purpose of the author when writing this book in the first person. Kathy must have a big role in the book for the author to want the reader to connect to her in a different way than the other characters.  Also, right from the start we are introduced to Kathy's job as a carer. I'm still confused after finishing the first chapter as to what a carer is. Also the concept of a donor is brought up and it relates to the carers. I am interested to see what exactly this means and if it has a vital role in the story line of the novel. In addition to this, I am curious to see if the type of world they live in is different from the world we know. I wonder if their world in Never Let Me Go will be similar to the world in Brave New World. The place called Hailsham seems very different and almost mysterious at this point. I am guessing that this place is important to Kathy and the rest of the characters in the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment