Tuesday, August 9, 2011

The nonexistent last names (Never Let Me Go- 4)

"Little things, like Alexander J. and Peter N. walking across the courtyard with him towards the fields, the three of them chatting quite naturally; a subtle but clear difference in people's  voices when his name got mentioned. " (page 21)

Why doesn't anyone have a last name? The book starts off with the introduction of Kathy as "Kathy H." Then, we move on to the introduction of the teachers like "Miss Emily" and "Miss Geraldine". The quote above shows the names Alexander J. and Peter N.. At first, I didn't think anything of the missing last names. However, now I am starting to get curious as to why people only have one letter that represents their last name. I  am guessing that there is more meaning behind the lack of full last names. I am interested to see what exactly this means because at this point in the book I honestly have no idea what this could mean. I am beginning to really question what Hailsham is and if it is a different place. Hailsham definitely seems mysterious at this point, and the missing last names just adds to the intrigue of this interesting place.

1 comment:

  1. I think it's because they don't have families and so can not be identified by their family name as they are clones.

    ReplyDelete