Friday, August 12, 2011

Evidence, the Gallery, and more questions (Never Let Me Go-11)

"Then she said: 'Look, there are all kinds of things that you don't understand Tommy, and I can't tell you about them. Things about Hailsham, about your place in the wider world, all kinds of things. But perhaps one day, you'll try and find out. They wont make it easy for you, but if you want to, really want to, you might find out.'" (page 109)

I thought there weren't going to be any more mysteries!! Now, I'm confused again. So, at this point, the reader knows that there is more secrecy in Hailsham. Certain things, especially art, are important to the students lives beyond Hailsham. The art serves as a type of evidence and a lot can come from said artwork. I am so confused! I don't like how Ishiguro says all of these things and then it makes sense 10 chapters later! However, just as the reader is confused, so are Kathy and Tommy. The author puts you right into the story with Kathy and Tommy and makes you think with them as to what all of this information might mean. Just as I am frustrated with my lack of knowledge as to what the heck is going on with Hailsham, I am really mad at Ruth. Ruth is kind of self-centered and she uses Kathy to talk to Tommy for her own sake. She wants to get back together with Tommy but she makes Kathy actually convince Tommy to do so. Even though Kathy knows that figuring out all of this mystery surrounding Miss Lucy and Hailsham is more important that Ruth and Tommy's relationship, she acts as if she doesn't care about what Tommy has just revealed to her.Tommy and Kathy both know that there is something weird that is happening. I'm wondering if Miss Emily or one of the other teachers will be like Miss Lucy and tell the students about the truth. I'm hoping that this is the case or else I'm going to be confused for the next couple of chapters.

No comments:

Post a Comment