Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Frankenstein- Walton

"'Are you mad, my friend?' said he; 'or whiter does your senseless curiosity lead you? Would you also create for yourself and the world a demoniacal enemy? Peace, peace! learn my miseries, and do not seek to increase your own" page 156

By the end of the book, after I was depressed about everyone dying in the end, I began to wonder about Walton. I wondered if Walton really learned anything from what Victor had told him and what he encountered with the creature. Walton, much like Victor, was very much entrapped in his work and what he longed to discover. However, Victor continually warned him of the evils and dangers of obsessing over work and especially science. When Walton asks Victor to explain to him how he created the monster, it just does not appear as if Walton truly understands the gravity of everything that has happened. I think that it took seeing the creature face to face and encountering Victor's death for him to truly realize how dangerous science can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment