Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Frankenstein- Irony

"Unable to endure the aspect of the being I had created, I rushed out of the room, and continued a long time traversing my bedchamber, unable to compose my mind to sleep." page 35

After spending such a long time devoted to creating this being, the time comes when the being comes to life. However, after Frankenstein creates the monster, he runs to his room to escape his creation. I was expecting Frankenstein to be pleased with his creation at first, but immediately, he knows he made a mistake. I initially assumed that he would be extremely interested as a scientist to examine and take note of what he created. Yet, to me as a reader, this scene really shows how little Frankenstein thought about what he was doing. He clearly hadn't thought the whole experiment out.To Frankenstein, the consequences of trying to create another being does not seem like it would create any true problems. However, to me, I do not see how he could not have thought through the possible consequences of this experiment. Situational irony is present at this specific point.

No comments:

Post a Comment