Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Frankenstein- Sympathy

"Suddenly, as I gazed on him, an idea seized me that this little creature was unprejudiced and had lived too short a time to have imbibed a horror of deformity. If, therefore, I could seize him and educate him as my companion and friend, I should not be so desolate in this people earth." page 136

The last blog I wrote about was talking about how I began to sympathize with the creature. This extended even more into the second half of the book. I had this preconceived notion at the beginning of this book that the monster was intrinsically evil, just as Victor thinks he is. However, I have started to really sympathize for the creature. He simply wants to have someone in his life that doesn't judge him but will talk to him and love him. The things that the creature wants are things that we, as humans, strive to have as well. The monster, although he is not human, has very human emotions and feelings. Also, just as humans do, he continually struggles with humanity's evil side. Through the constant rejection and disgust the creature receives from everyone he encounters, he begins to perceive the world differently and in response, he changes. The world around him and the people around him made him into the evil, harmful, disgusting creature he never wanted to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment