Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Frankenstein- Characterization

"The blood flowed freely in my veins, but a weight of despair and remorse pressed on my heart which nothing could remove." page 61

To me as a reader, I regard Frankenstein as a complex character. At the beginning of the book, we meet him in a state in which he is near death. After obsessing over his creation for years, he finally finishes his work and is completely horrified with his creation. I found his reasoning for leaving really confusing. I understand that he was afraid, but that seems like a complete waste of 2 years to me. Also, the intense emotions that Victor feels when told of Williams death adds another dimension to his character.He begins to feel sorrow, grief, guilt, despair and so many other emotions. It seems as if he is experiencing every type of possible emotion. The most significant quality about Frankenstein that I have noticed is his impulsiveness. He acts impulsively when running from his creation and then when talking to his creation about how awful he is. I do not think that he really thinks through what he is doing in a lot of the situations in which he is presented. 

No comments:

Post a Comment