Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Frankenstein- I don't understand you, Victor

"'I will be with you on your wedding night.' Such was my sentence, and on that night would the daemon employ every art to destroy me, and tear me from the glimpse of happiness which promised party to console my sufferings. On that night he had determined to consummate his crimes by my death. Well, be it so." page 139

Although Victor cannot foresee that the creature is actually planning to kill Elizabeth, I was seriously questioning Victor and his character at this moment. Obviously, he is fearful of the creature and his "impending" death just as anyone would be. However, not once does Victor mention how his death may affect all of the people around him who love him, especially Elizabeth. He does not know that the creature will kill Elizabeth, but he does not think of how his own death may affect Elizabeth. Then, to make things worse, Victor agrees to marry Elizabeth even though he is certain of the creature killing him on the night of his wedding. If I were in Elizabeth's position I would be absolutely crushed to find out that my husband was murdered. Yet, Victor doesn't seem to think about how his death would be hard on Elizabeth, especially seeing how hard William's death was for her. Also, he does not consider his father or brother during this period either. Instead, he still remains in secrecy about his creation and accepts his fate. To me, this was a very negative aspect of Victor's character.

No comments:

Post a Comment