Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Frankenstein- Protagonist

"My heart was fashioned to be susceptible of love and sympathy, and when wrenched by misery to vice and hatred, it did not endure the violence of the change without torture such as you cannot imagine." page 208

When describing his circumstances to Walton, the creature states that he was endowed by his nature to be sympathetic and loving. It was his lack of nurture that made him become full of misery, hatred, and violence. Even though I questioned the creature at times, I think that he was the protagonist of the book. Victor, as the creature's creator, abandoned him and left him to a world of solitude in which everyone else was disgusted by him as well. I put myself in the creature's position and I begin to feel that if I had been rejected and abandoned to the extent in which he was, I would have a lot of hatred in my heart as well. He is a gentle and kind creature until humanity exposes him to hate and rejection. Through his constant struggles and then his murders, he drives the action of the novel. The reader is continually trying to figure out what the creature is going to do next. Although he commits very wrong acts, the creature is noted to be struggling with an internal conflict of good and evil. To me, this represents a very human characteristic in which we all deal with in our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment