Thursday, February 2, 2012

I don't like Iago

Although Iago is very cunning and smart in deceiving every single character in this play, his character is so awful.  In Act II, Iago describes the different types of women and what his "perfect woman" would be. To Iago, a woman who nurses babies and does kitchen work is the perfect woman. As a girl, obviously I think that is just so annoying. He's like all of those men who tell their wives to "go make them a sandwich". We are capable of much more than that! Even though I understand Shakespearean times were very different, I still find Iago annoying in this regard. Then, he stabs own wife because she was an actual decent human being who revealed all of the terrible things Iago did. Even Emilia doesn't believe that Iago lied and deceived so many people. Emilia continually says "My husband?" (V.i. 139). I do give Iago props for his intelligence in devising a plan and almost not being revealed. In that regards, what he did was pretty impressive. But, I still don't like his character.

No comments:

Post a Comment