Monday, February 27, 2012

The Glass Menagerie

3. Identify the protagonist and antagonist. Are there any foil characters?

Although at times his character acts in peculiar ways, I think that Tom is the best fit for the protagonist in this story. Tom works for the family and helps out Amanda by finding a gentleman caller for Laura. Tom's role as the protagonist is made known through several moments throughout the story. For example, "For sixty-five dollars a month  I give up all that I dream of doing and being ever! And you say self- self's all I ever think of. Why, listen, if self is what I thought of, Mother I'd be where he is- GONE!". Tom gives up a lot in order to provide for his mom and sister. I think the antagonist is two people, Amanda and the father. Amanda drives Tom to not become his father and she pushes Laura to marry someone who is not like her father. Amanda wants her children to act in certain ways due to her own past experiences with her husband. In this way, the father plays a role as the antagonist as well. The only foil characters I can identify in the play are Laura and Amanda. While Amanda is demanding and an extrovert, Laura is very shy and quiet.

No comments:

Post a Comment