Thursday, January 26, 2012

Othello, Act I

What themes does the play present?

The theme that hatred is often based on preconceived notions is prevalent in the first act of "Othello". In the very first act, Iago has an important soliloquy in which he discusses how he "hates the Moor". Iago states "But for my sport and profit. I hate the Moor. And it is though abroad that 'twixt my sheets. He's done my office. I know not if't be true, but I for mere suspicion in that kind will do as if for surety." (I.iii.336-370) The hatred towards Othello is caused by "mere suspicion" that Othello slept with Iago's wife. In this way, we are able to see the character that Shakespeare made Iago to be. Iago, though often referred to as honest and loyal, is very motivated by selfishness and greed. Othello, who has a better position than Iago, may have slept with Iago's wife, which makes Iago even more envious of Othello. It seems to me that Iago's hatred is caused by envy or jealousy. Iago's hatred of the Moor carries onto the other acts in the play and seems to serve as the premise as to why Iago behaves the way that he does.

No comments:

Post a Comment