Wednesday, September 21, 2011

next of course god america i

This poem thoroughly confused me. I had a hard time following the poem because of the lack of punctuation. The lack of punctuation is what I first noticed about the poem. I also noticed different songs like the "Star Spangled Banner" and "My country tis of thee" being apart of the poem. I don't understand their purpose, but I did pick up on their presence in the poem. I thought that the language that Cummings uses is confusing such as "deafanddumb" and "by jingo be gee by gosh by gum". I don't really know what he is talking about at all. The "heroic, happy, dead" people could be soldiers. Although, the point about the soldiers "rushing like lions to their roaring slaughter." was interesting. I guess soldiers with pride of their country would be rushing to be killed. The line that confused me the most was the last line, "He spoke. And drank rapidly a glass of water." To me, this just seemed like useless information that was randomly placed at the end of the poem. I know that it is not random or useless, but I don't understand what it means. Perhaps the speaker is giving a speech and he is pausing to drink water. I cannot relate this statement with the rest of the poem though. I hope E.E. Cummings isn't another Emily Dickinson poet.

No comments:

Post a Comment