Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Overall Reaction

"Slowly, very slowly, like two hundred unhurried compass needles, the feet turned towards the right; north, north-east, east, south-east, south, south-south-west; then paused, and, after a few seconds, turned as unhurriedly back towards the left.  South-south-west, south, south-east, east...."  (Brave New World, page 259)



I definitely wasn't expecting the book to end this way. In fact, I thought it was a really weird ending. I had decided that John was the protagonist of the book because he had done the most to change the society in which he had been placed in. However, looking back, he really didn't do very much. And, in the end, he killed himself because he didn't know what else to do with the life he was living. He was tormented and tortured to the point where he didn't want to live anymore. I figured that out of all of the people in the book, John would be the one character that would find purpose and meaning in his life. John was the only one who had a different upbringing and this is why I concluded that he would change a lot more than what he actually did.

Also, I figured that there would be more of a direct and meaningful ending. Maybe there is and I'm just missing it. I'm sure we will talk about it in August. Throughout the entire book, it seemed like the author was trying to prove a point about society. I assumed that the ending of the book would really make you think about life and the meaning of life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment