Wednesday, November 2, 2011

How I Met My Husband

1. Describe the plot structure in the story. How is the arrangement of the plot elements effective? At Which points were your expectations as a reader overturned?

"So I said yes, and I went out with him for two years and he asked me to marry him, and we were engaged a year more while I got my things together, and then we did marry."

The plot structure of "How I Met My Husband" is very consistent until the end. The story plot consists of Edie continually telling of her life as a hired girl, telling details of important events that lead up to her meeting her husband. The chronological order of the events makes it easy to follow and imagine vividly what occurred. However, towards the end, and especially the last paragraph, we find out that the reader does not marry Chris, but the mailman instead. It was at this point at the end when my expectations as a reader were overturned. I feel like the author purposely made the entire plot seem as if Edie would marry Chris, seeing as he was the only main male in the story. Yet, if she did not care for or like Chris, she would have never come across the mailman. The author purposely sets up the story to make the reader assume that Edie will marry Chris, but as we all find out, this does not happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment